This is the question posed for the first day of Knit & Crochet Blog Week 2015 hosted by Eskimimi Makes. Before I dive in, I must send out good vibes to Eskimimi who is unable to participate this year due to some health concerns – hope all works out for you!
Now, I did a little research to figure out which yarn I would be and I came up with Linen. I was specifically looking for a yarn that is a little rough when you first get it but becomes softer as you wash and wear it. At first I was thinking of some type of wool that softens as it wears but the more I searched the more linen came up. Here are some fun facts I learned about linen yarn:
- Linen is made from a plant called Flax which is a weed that grows in the Netherlands
- It is durable but elegant – a rare mix of qualities
- Produces a strong material that lasts a long time
- It has a natural ability to cool you through evaporation
- It is not soft & fluffy at first touch
- Requires no special care and with each wash becomes softer
I think I’m a lot like linen yarn. I’m a bit stiff and prickly when you first meet me but the longer you know me, the more you will find out I’m all soft on the inside. I feel I’m quite durable, if durable were used to describe people. Synonyms for durable include long-lasting, tough, resistant, strong, and indestructable. I’d like to think I’m tough and strong and weather whatever is thrown at me. Linen yarn also has many uses – looking at Ravelry under Euroflax Sport Weight (one of the more popular linen yarns) there are 5,167 projects ranging from t-shirts to totes to dishcloths and blankets. I have many interests and I will try just about anything once!
So, what yarn would you be???