I had another post prepared for today but last night I did something I’ve never done before – I frogged an entire project. I felt compelled to share what all went wrong.
This was a test knit I was doing for Jessie of Yarn Over New York. I had seen pictures of the poncho she designed on Instagram so when she put out a call for test knitters I signed up! She used Noro for her poncho and it looks amazing (check out her page!) and I have a ton of laceweight Noro that I got on sale in a buying frenzy many years ago that I thought I would use (stash busting!). The pattern calls for fingering weight so I planned on holding two strands together but then got worried the colors would get muddied due to the way Noro is dyed and rejected using the Noro.
So, despite my yarn diet I decided to order some yarn I had seen on Instagram and fell in love with (yes, the moral of this story is that Instagram is evil 🙂 ). The yarn is from Julianna’s Fibre on Etsy and is her Lucid Dream Sock Yarn in I Smell Snow. I love it and it is completely outside of my usual color box.
I happily cast on and started knitting. Before I go further I have to say that I love the pattern and it’s a really fun knit with a lot of garter stitch and some really fun construction so I definitely recommend the pattern to everyone when it comes out. Everything from here on out is on me. The poncho is built in tiers so there is some connecting of stitches which you need to be careful not to twist. Ugh! Yep, twisted those stitches. I didn’t want to undo everything I had done so I made up my own version of a steek. I did a little crochet and then cut my stitches and flipped the piece that was attached wrong. It seemed to be holding but what I didn’t like was all that blue. The yarn does some striping if knit into socks or other smaller projects. With the long rows I was knitting there was some stripe but not much so it was a lot.
At this point, I decided to add in another yarn. I picked up a skein of Hedgehog Fibers Boombox at my LYS and powered on. But it still wasn’t working so I decided to start over. I used a new skein of my I Smell Snow and added in two contrast colors so that I would manually be striping it.
Last night I realized two things – 1. I was never going to finish knitting it by the deadline and 2. I was halfway through my yarn and not even close to halfway done knitting. That’s when I frogged. Also, I was hating the way it was knitting up and I was seeing all the other ones that other testers knit and I loved theirs. I had chosen the wrong yarn for this project. It really calls for something that has long color changes like the Noro or Chroma from KnitPicks would be good too. The color blocking I was doing was not really working and was looking a little more patchwork than I liked, especially for a poncho.
I’m very much looking forward to the socks I will knit with my I Smell Snow (and, in fact, they will be the next pair cast on). And, with all this knitting and frogging the yarn held up really well so that’s a big plus! Sadly, I need to enter all this yarn to my Yarn In/Yarn Out list. The good news was my McGyver steek held up and made it challenging to frog. Here is the last picture of my test knit before frogging and after frogging.
I have apologized profusely to Jessie (and, just to be fair, offered to pay for the pattern). I still intend to knit one of these but not until I find the right yarn. Lesson learned!