The exciting news is all of my deadline knitting is off the needles!!! That includes another Mermaid Tail blanket and the only Christmas present knitting I was doing. I’m focusing on fun projects for the remainder of the month and will dig back in come January.
One of things that started making the rounds in the days following the election was Project Peace which is being hosted by The Healthy Knitter
I used a gift certificate to my LYS to purchase some yarn for this KAL. The notes had said that the stitch pattern would show up better with a solid or tonal yarn. I really don’t have much in the way of solids in my stash (and will try to focus on that in the future). It calls for kind of a weird yardage so I was having problems finding what I wanted. I finally settled on 2 skeins of Woolfolk Sno as I have been known to stop and pet it often during knit night. I chose a very light gray. The yardage was going to be very close to just enough but I figured I could figure something out.
When the pattern update came out I read that there is an option to add an i-cord edge. After the great picot bind off of October I feel that I may live to regret this decision but I think I’m going to go for it! And, I think I’m going to use a different color for a little pop around the edges, which solves my somewhat short amount of the main color. That leads me back to my lack of solids in my stash. And, then, lightbulb, I had leftovers from my 3 Color Cashmere Shawl. Now, I’m trying to decide which color to use for the edging (if I ever get that far)
I think I know which one I’m leaning towards but feel free to let me know if you have a favorite!
The pattern is free which makes me filled with peace! It’s a simple waffle stitch cowl. My biggest hitch was casting on 318 stitches, which is a lot. Luckily, I waited until knit night and I was talking about my plans for the i-cord edge. My friends quickly replied that I should do a provisional cast on (as they laughed at the thought of an i-cord cast off on 318 stitches). I never really got a grasp on the provisional cast on so they were kind enough to show me how to do a crochet cast on. Now, I’m terrible with a crochet hook and my friend G is not the most patient person. It did not take long before she asked if she could just do it for me because watching me struggle with the crochet hook and the knitting needle was too much for her. She got about halfway through before she had to go but it gave me a good start.
I had decided I would knit a couple of rows straight to avoid twisting all of those stitches. I did that and then ended up joining in the round on the wrong side but I carried on. The pattern is a 4 row repeat and I was about halfway through the second repeat when I realized my stitches were twisted. #*@&@! I stopped and thought about it but eventually decided it would bother me enough that I should go ahead and tear it out. I was able to salvage the cast on and I’m back on track (I also moved it to 60 inch needles to avoid any future issues).
We can also use a little extra peace this year so if you haven’t joined in yet, check it out!