What a Difference a Weekend Makes!

So, last week I shared my February finished object but it need some blocking.  I took it into knit night and talked it over with the group.  It was decided I definitely needed blocking wires, lucky for me they had some in stock!  I looked up some tutorials on the internet.  I found this post on Craftsy.com which went step by step of using blocking wires.  My plan was to lay it out on my mostly unused futon in the craft room.  My first step was to soak it.

20150228_115229

This step is a little scary – putting all that wool into water, even cold water made me nervous.  It does not soothe the nerves when you pull it out and it smells like wet wool.  It had been suggested to me that I wrap the wet shawl in a towel and then ring it out (helps avoid any accidental felting) so I carefully wrapped and wrung it out.  And then I headed upstairs and spread it out, it was already bigger!

20150228_115807

That top edge was completely rolled over and as you can see the bottom “points” were all sorts of different shapes!  The thing I did not count on was how hard it was to stick pins through the futon mattress.  I thought it would be a perfect spot and the pins would go right through but not so much so I was not able to use the pins as well as I might have liked.

20150228_123423  20150228_123526

But what a difference those wires made – look actual points!!!  It took about 24 hours for it to dry completely and I was nervous that it would shrink back up once I removed the wires but it held the shape and even the curled over top edging is now nice and straight and you can see all the different stitch patterns that were used in completing it.

20150301_094521  20150301_094540

I can’t wait for it to warm up so I can wear it!!

February’s Finished Project

This month’s finished project*!!!

20150222_214043

Pattern: Follow Your Arrow 2 Yarn: Space Cadet Aurora in Colors of Cleveland January colorway Susquehanna Sparkle Sock in Trumpet

*it still needs to be blocked 🙂

This was my first knit-a-long and it was a mystery one so it was tons of fun!  I learned a lot of new stitches and got to use some fun yarn.  I would definitely partake in another mystery knit-a-long!  Now, to figure out the blocking issue.  I’m not a blocker and this thing needs some serious blocking.  I’ve seen the actual finished ones on Ravelry and they definitely make me want to figure it out!  Any tips or suggestions for blocking?

What’s on My Needles This Weekend?

I’m a little late with this post due to a quick trip to warmer weather (more on that later!) but this weekend I’ve been obsessed with attempting to catch up and finish my Ysolda KAL – Follow Your Arrow 2.  It has been a mystery knit-a-long and the first clue was released on January 19.  It’s been really fun!  Each week there are 2 different clues and you pick which clue to do next so there are many different combinations.  It looked so fun one of my knitting friends, we’ll call her C, decided to do one too.  Each week we text to find out which clue we have each chosen.  So far, we’ve always chosen the same clue and you know why?  It’s the only one we understand!  Ysolda uses some really interesting stitches in the clues and if I didn’t understand them on the read through I knew they would not go well in the actual knitting.  My favorite section was clue 3 that has these cool smock stitches.

20150206_215906

I think these would be cool on a hat and might play around with that when I have some extra time (not sure when that will be but it’s going on the list 🙂 )

I was not able to take it with me on my trip as it does make for good plane knitting so I ended up being a clue behind and since it’s a shawl it’s been growing each week but I have 4 rows left to fingers crossed it will be my finished object of the month before the end of the week!  Here’s a peak of it now!

20150220_222422